Saturday, March 2, 2013

Energy Savings for the Warm Months

If you like all of these great freebies and deals, make sure you sign up for my newsletter.  


I know that it doesn't feel like it in part of the country, but before you know it, the spring and summer weather will be here.  There are several ways to save on your energy use during the summer (and year round).  Here are 6 tips to get you started on those savings.  You might think they won't make much of a difference but the savings do add up and most of them won't cost you much if anything to get started.

  1. First, start hanging your laundry on a clothesline.  I know it kind of sounds like I'm asking you to go back to your grandma's time but you will be shocked how much money you will save on your electricity/gas bill.  I actually do this year round.  I've saved loads of money.  I probably save $10-$20 a month on my electricity bill by doing this.  Also, your dryer will heat up the room the dryer is in.  It may not add much heat but it will add some
  2. Try not to use your oven unless necessary.  If you do have to use the oven, do all of the cooking at the same time.  The oven heats up your kitchen, which will make your a/c work harder.  You should use a toaster oven, microwave, and/or crock pot.  Not only do these not heat up your kitchen as much, but they also don't use as much electricity.  A toaster oven, microwave, and crock pot use up to 80 % less energy than an oven.
  3. Get your a/c tuned up.  Hire a licensed contractor to check out your unit and to do routine maintenance.  This can prevent more problems down the road that can cost you a fortune to fix.  Not getting routine maintenance can cause your unit to work harder, meaning it uses more electricity.  Make sure you clean your filters, too.  If you don't clean your filters or change them, this can cause your a/c to work harder, too.
  4. Use a programmable thermostat.  You can then set it to a higher temp, around 85 degrees, when you are not home.  When you are home, set it around 78 degrees, and higher when you are asleep.  Personally, I still have to be a little cooler when I am at home.  You can save quite a bit of money by changing the temperature.  I change my thermostat a degree at a time until I get very uncomfortable.
  5. To stay a little cooler when I am in a room when thermostat is higher, I use a ceiling fan.  A ceiling fan can make a room feel 5-8 degrees cooler.  It only costs a few cents an hour.  For every couple of degrees higher on your thermostat, you can save $10-$20 a month.  However, don't run a ceiling fan in a room you aren't in, that will just waste money.  I always have a hard time remembering which way to run the ceiling fan.  So, here is my reminder, the ceiling should be running counter clockwise to cool a room off.
  6. Close your curtains and blinds.  You don't want the heat of the sun to warm up the house when you are trying to cool the house off with the a/c.  Depending on where you live, this could save another chunk of money.  You can also put a solar film on your windows to block most of the hear while letting the light in.  You can find this at Lowe's.  I've also seen insulating curtains that will block most of the heat from the sun.  Of course, you could also plant deciduous trees to provide shade around your house in the summer, and let the sun in during the winter.

I hope this tips help you out.  I know they have made a big difference in my electricity bills.  You can do all of them at one time, or do them one at a time.  Let me know, if you notice a big difference in your energy bills.  I don't know about you, but these days every penny counts.


This post may contain affiliate links. You may check my disclosure page for more information.

2 comments: