Monday, December 10, 2012

Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Gift of Christmas Review

If you like all of these great freebies and deals, make sure you sign up for my newsletter.  



As most of you know, I am a part of the Chicken Soup for the Soul network.  So, every time a new Chicken Soup for the Soul book is published I get to review it.  I am sure that almost everyone knows about the Chicken Soup for the Soul books.  However, for those that don't know, Chicken Soup for the Soul books are short stories sent in by real people about their own lives and experiences or sometimes about the lives and experiences of close friends or relatives.  These books are at the top of the best sellers lists.

As you probably know, I love Chicken Soup for the Soul books.  They are always full of such wonderful, inspirational stories and devotions.  They always fill me with hope and joy.  Well, this next book that I am reviewing, Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Gift of Christmas: A Special Collection of Joyful Holiday Stories by by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, & Amy Newmark, doesn't disappoint either.

I love Christmas, and the feelings it can bring you.  No, I am not talking about the feelings of being overwhelmed with everything that has to be done.  I am talking about the feelings of love and generosity.  I love spending time with family.

I don't know Chicken Soup for the Soul goes about picking stories to print, but they always seem to have the stories I love to read.  One of my favorites in this book, is in the first chapter.  "The Red Bank" tells the story of how one present can mean so much years later.  When this woman received a little red bank from a classmate when she was little, at first she was disappointed and couldn't believe that is what she had been given.  The young boy that gave it to her was so excited about it.  He had chosen it just for her.  What is funny is that years later she still had this red bank.  She had taken it with her everywhere, and was one of the few items she still had with her when she got married.

However, one day her house was broken into.  She realized later that the bank was taken.  It was surprising to her how much this bothered her, I mean afterall, it was a present she hadn't wanted in the first place.  She had grown to love the bank, and always remembered the boy who had given it to her.  When she thought back over the years, it was one of the only items that she remembered receiving when she was little, and who had given it to her.

She told the story much better than I did.  It is touching to realize that something so insignificant can mean so much years later.  Sometimes it might be the simple, practical items that can mean so much.

If you love stories of Christmas, you will love this book.  It brings back wonderful memories of when I was younger or of when my kids were younger.  It is full of stories that will make you laugh and cry.  You will always smile in the end.

There are so many great stories.  You can search the book to find just the right story for your mood or read it from beginning to end.  Here are the section headings:
  1. All I Want for Christmas
  2. Love Actually
  3. Close Encounters of the Santa Kind
  4. Deck the Halls
  5. It's a Wonderful Life
  6. A Few Good Elves
  7. I'll Be Home for Christmas
  8. Toy Story
  9. There Will Be Family 
  10. A Christmas Carol
  11. Good Gift Hunting
  12. The Star of Bethlehem
I highly recommend this book, Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Gift of Christmas: A Special Collection of Joyful Holiday Stories.  It makes a great Christmas, birthday, or just because present.  It is the perfect thing for anyone on your list. 

If you aren't ready to buy a copy, you might win one.  Check out my post where I am giving away 3 copies of Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Gift of Christmas: A Special Collection of Joyful Holiday Stories.

Image Credit: Amazon


This post may contain affiliate links. You may check my disclosure page for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment