Labels
Arts and Craft
Automotive
Baby Samples
Birthday Goodies
Blog Hops
Blogger Events
Book and Magazine Freebies
Book Tours
Charities
Christmas
Clothing
Cool Tips
Coupon Matchups
Coupons
Disney Movie Rewards
Entertainment
Food Sample
For Kids
For Parents
For Students
For Teachers
Free eBooks
Freebie
Giveaways
Great Deals
Guest Posts
Halloween
Health and Beauty Sample
Holiday Gift Guide
Home and Garden
Household Samples
Kelli's Ramblings and Prayers
Local Happenings
Magazine Deals
Make Money
Military
Miscellaneous
Office and Stationery Samples
Pampers Points
Pet Samples
Quote of the Day
Rebates
Recipes
Religious
Restaurants
Retail
Review
Surveys
Sweepstakes
Thrifty Tips
Sunday, September 11, 2011
Where were You? My mom's story.
Where were you? The question of our generation is, "Where were you on 9/11?" Just like people of the '60's could always tell you where they were when Kennedy was shot, most of us can tell you where we were on 9/11. The thing is that it was not just a national reaction, it broke through our borders and was felt worldwide.
How do I know? My mother wasn't in the country. She was in Turkey for a workshop. As she told me days later after I was able to speak to her, the people of Turkey were wonderful and supportive of her, and all Americans around her. When she walked into her hotel, she didn't know anything about what had happened. The people at the hotel desk didn't speak English but they kept saying - "New York - Boom, New York - Boom". She couldn't comprehend what they meant. Someone finally took her to her room and showed her on the tv what had happened. I can't imagine how she felt being in a foreign country watching the country being attacked. Watching the destruction half a world away.
When she would leave her room all of those that spoke English, would ask her if she needed anything. They would help her and the others with whatever they needed. They would ask if she was from New York or Washington, or if she knew anyone there.
I was so worried about her. I didn't know how people in Turkey would respond to Americans. I couldn't reach her. I didn't have her itinerary. I finally got the info from her secretary. She had changed hotels, and of course, it was almost impossible to get calls out. She was finally able to get through, and she told me how wonderful everyone was.
We had/have friends in France. She was able to get to France, and stayed with them until she could get back. Of course, it took quite awhile for her to get home, but the people of the world were there helping her, supporting her.
We will never forget. Never forget the destruction. Never forget how the country and the world came together to fight terrorism. I had never felt that sense of fear, pride, love, patriotism, sense of being one before.
On this day, 9/11, we remember all of those who lost their lives that day and those that have died since then. Thank a police officer, a firefighter, the military, anyone that has helped then, and those that continue to fight today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

People can be truly amazing in difficult times. Thanks for sharing your moms story
ReplyDelete