Monday, June 10, 2013

Gone South by Meg Moseley Review

If you like all of these great freebies and deals, make sure you sign up for my newsletter.  


Synopsis:

What happens when a Northern buys and moves to the South into her great-great-great-grandparents home?  The home was built right the Civil War.  Tish McComb decides on a whim to change her life forever by moving to the South.  She has idolized her ancestors for years.  Little does she know how those unrealistic dreams of her family in the South are viewed in an entirely different way by the old families of the South.


She realizes after she buys the house that McCombs are not welcome with open arms.  Is this what her ancestors had to live with?  What were her ancestors really like?  How can people hold a grudge for so many generations?

Her lonely life as an outcast in town is only alleviated with the friendship of George Zorbas, an antique dealer, and Melanie Hamilton, a troubled young woman.  Melanie is also dealing with being an outcast.  Tish is the only one to give her a chance and gives her a place to stay.  Can Tish and Melanie get a second chance with the townspeople?  

Review:
Gone South is a wonderful read.  The perfect book to take to the beach and read.  I really enjoyed this book.  Of course, I can relate to a lot of the book.  First of all, I am kind of considered a Northern, and I married a Southerner, a Cajun.  Thankfully though, I haven't gotten to much flack for being an outsider, but I will never really be considered a Southerner even though I have lived here over half of my life.  In addition, I had problems with my family like Melanie.  My problems weren't quite as bad as Melanie's, but difficult non the less.

Meg Moseley does a wonderful job of pulling the reader in and keeping you engaged.  You would think after over a century people would be past the Civil War, but they're not.  The author gives a valid description of people from a small Southern town.  There is nothing quite as cold as the cold shoulder Northerners can get when they come to town.

This is a book that anyone and everyone will enjoy - young and old, Yankee or Southerner.  There is plenty of drama and even some romance.  People of all ages will be able to relate to at least one of the characters.  I don't know about you but I've always wondered what it would be like to make a big change in my life.

About the Author:
"Meg Moseley is still a Californian at heart although she's lived more than half her life in other states. Holding jobs that ranged from candle-maker to administrative assistant, Meg eventually contributed human-interest pieces for a suburban edition of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Contemporary fiction remains her real love, and she's the author of When Sparrows Fall and Gone South. She lives in Atlanta near the foothills of the Southern Appalachians with her husband."

Check out Meg Moseley's Blog.

I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.

Image Credit:  Gone South

This post may contain affiliate links. You may check my disclosure page for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment