Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Chicken Soup for the Soul: Inspiration for Writers Review

If you like all of these great freebies and deals, make sure you sign up for my newsletter.  


As most of you know, I am a part of the Chicken Soup for the Soul network.  So, every time a new Chicken Soup for the Soul book is published I get to review it.  I am sure that almost everyone knows about the Chicken Soup for the Soul books.  However, for those that don't know, Chicken Soup for the Soul books are short stories sent in by real people about their own lives and experiences or sometimes about the lives and experiences of close friends or relatives.  These books are at the top of the best sellers lists.


Chicken Soup for the Soul: Inspiration for Writers - 101 Motivational Stories for Writers - Budding or Bestselling - from Books to Blogs by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, Amy Newmark & Susan M. Heim has some great stories for everyone.  I think we should all take a few moments each day to write.  People have gotten so far away from really writing.  Most just send texts or a short email.  I mean really when was the last time you wrote a letter or received a letter?  When was last time you wrote in a journal?  Do you or children write stories or even a blog or anything else?

I know I have this blog but don't really feel like I really write much.  Most of it is the same stuff everyday with coupons and freebies.  I get so stuck in a rut with my writing.  Of course, I am also try to over think everything.  I have a hard time free writing.  I try to edit as I write instead of just letting go and writing down everything that comes to mind.  The exact thing you shouldn't do.  I just get worried about what other will think.  This stems from a couple of teachers disregarding and making me feel like I'm stupid when I did free write (like they wanted).  We have to get away from judging everything kids write.

Anyway, this book has some great stories like "Turning Blocks into Stepping Stones".  I don't write to get stuff published.  I mean the only thing I really write is this blog that I publish myself.  However, I still run into writer's block just like she does, and I do the same thing she did, "Occasionally, I sat at the computer, but invariably spent more time hitting the Delete button than the Save.  I edited and criticized as I wrote and routinely told myself how trite, dumb and blah my work sounded."  I think a lot of us do that.  Reading this gives me hope and makes me realize I'm not alone in how I feel.

This book is for everyone, whether or not you are trying to get something published.  We need to spend a little more time writing instead of just picking up the phone to text or the computer to email.  I don't know about you but I love getting a real letter in the mail, or rereading letters I've gotten in the past.  It is also nice to have that family history that journals and letters give you.  The next generations are going to miss having that written history if we continue along the same path.  I realize I am part of that problem in my family.  I hope I can get back into the routine of writing in a journal and maybe write a couple of letters.  Then maybe one day I might try to write something to be published.

Here is a look at the chapters you can choose from:
  1. Facing my Fears
  2. A Little Help from My Friends
  3. Making Time to Write
  4. Take My Advice
  5. Wrestling with Writer's Block
  6. The Healing Power of Words
  7. Mentors Who Mattered
  8. Reflections on Rejection
  9. Finding Inspiration
  10. Try, Try Again
  11. Writing Changes Lives

This is the perfect book because you can just pick and choose the stories you want to read.  That is one of the great things about the Chicken Soup for the Soul books - you don't have to read from cover to cover.  You don't have to be a big reader to enjoy this book or any other Chicken Soup for the Soul books.

I highly recommend this book, Chicken Soup for the Soul: Inspiration for Writers - 101 Motivational Stories for Writers - Budding or Bestselling - from Books to Blogs.  It makes a great present.  Give someone the inspiration to start writing or to continue writing.

If you aren't ready to buy a copy, you might win one.  Check out my post where I am giving away 3 copies of Chicken Soup for the Soul: Inspiration for Writers - 101 Motivational Stories for Writers - Budding or Bestselling - from Books to Blogs.

Image Credit: Amazon


This post may contain affiliate links. You may check my disclosure page for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment