If you like all of these great freebies and deals, make sure you sign up for my newsletter.
I am constantly surprised how much people pay each month for their groceries. We would never survive if I paid the the same amount. We spend maybe $250 a month for 3 people. This includes any items needed for the house and dog food. Check out all of the ways you can save on your groceries.
1. Use coupons
I know you're thinking, "I knew he was going to say that." Well, yes, you are right. Coupons can save you hundreds of dollars each year. Make sure you are only using them on items you would normally buy unless you get it for free.
You can check out my post on couponing. It really doesn't take much effort or time to use coupons. Just think of them as money.
2. Grow Your Own
If you have the space plant a garden. You will save money on produce, and it will taste better. Even if you don't have the space you can have a container garden. Did you know that if you cut the bottom off of your celery, green onions, and more, they will grow again? They will!! Most of the time you can place them in water for a few days and then replant them.
3. Make Your Own
Not only will you save money by making it yourself, but it will taste better. Baking from scratch is almost always cheaper than store bought. It is cheaper, and healthier to make your own frozen meals or other packaged food items.
I usually double or triple a recipe to have some frozen meals in the freezer. It doesn't take any more time than a single batch. Sometimes it takes a little more chopping, or preparation, but it saves me time in the long run.
You can even make your own "homemade" pickles. Instead of throwing out your pickle juice from pickles you bought at the store, cut up some cucumbers, and put in the pickle juice. Let it sit at least for a few days. They will taste the same as the ones you bought for the most part.
4. Make a Budget
Set a budget for groceries. Try to stick to it or even come in below budget. I'm sure most of us have plenty of items in out pantries to make a few meals. So, if at the end of the week or month when you find you are close to going over budget, make meals from items you already have.
5. Check Your Flyers
See what is on sale, and plan your meals accordingly. If you have a coupon for any of the items, even better. The best thing to do is see if a store near you price matches then you can combine all of your shopping to one trip. This way you will save on gas. I know that Walmart does price match. However, I also know that it isn't everyone's favorite store, but if that is where you can get the best deal it might be worth it.
6. Make a List
Make a list, and stick to it!! Impulse buying can end up costing you loads more than what you budgeted.
7. Go By Yourself
Don't take the kid with you (that might mean your spouse, too. I know my husband used to ask for more things than the kids. He has gotten better but he still likes to impulse buy.
8. Don't Go Hungry
For one thing, you won't end up stopping for something to eat. Also, you are less likely to impulse buy if you aren't hungry.
9. Buy Generic or Store Brand
Most generics or store brands are as good if not better in some cases as the name brand. Some are even made at the same place as the name brand. I've even done taste tests in the past with my children. Finally, I got them to realize that the generic or store brand was good. They chose the generic cereal everytime over their "favorite" cereal.
10. Check the Price Per Unit
You will be surprised. Most people think if you buy the larger quantities it will be cheaper overall. This is not the case. I think manufacturers try to trick shoppers. Sometimes the larger packages have less than smaller packages.
11. Stock Up On Meat
When meat is on sale, stock up if you have room in your freezer. Also, buying the larger packs or family size packs are usually a better deal. Break the packages up into the size you need for a meal. You might even cook the meat all at one time to save time later if you know how you will use the meat. I do this with ground beef quite a bit. I brown it for spaghetti, tacos, pizza, etc.
12. Don't Stock Up on Produce & Other Perishables
Do not buy more produce or other perishables (like milk) that you know you can use before it goes bad. Americans throw out hundreds of dollars of food each year. This is wasteful and costly. Of course, if you know you will freeze some of it, it could be worth it. I know I buy lots of strawberries when they are in season, and freeze them. If I buy buttermilk, I know I won't use it all. I freeze it in ice trays then place in a ziploc bag. Most cubes equal about 2 tbsps. Check yours when you freeze them. Write it on the bag so you know how much each is for when you go to use it.
13. Stop Buying Snack Foods/Junk Foods
These are costly and usually aren't good for you most of the time. Instead of buying chips, I usually pop popcorn and I don't mean the expensive microwave popcorn. I pop it on the stove. You can usually make the sweets like cookies, and brownies for cheaper. You can make healthier versions, too.
14. Household Products
I know most people say that you shouldn't buy items like paper towels, cleaners, dog food, etc. where you buy your groceries, but you just need to check prices. Most of the time, I do my big shop of the month at Walmart. They will price match, and their non grocery items are usually cheaper. I do not buy these at other grocery stores because they can cost double or more than other stores.
15. Make a Price Book
Write down how much the items you usually buy cost at different stores. make sure you include the size of the item. This way you will know if you are getting the best deal.
16. Watch the Register
Cashiers are not perfect. They may make a mistake ringing something up. More likely though, the computer may not have the correct price in the system.
17. Use Reward Cards
Many reward cards these day will allow you to add coupons to them online. These will automatically deduct when you checkout. You will also get better/sale prices when you checkout. I know my Winn Dixie card allows me to get points to where I can save on gas. Check to see what perks your reward card offers.
18. Recycle Your Bags
Some stores will give you a discount if you bring in your recycled bags or your own bags.
As you can see, there are a variety of ways that you can save on your grocery bill. Try a few at a time so you don't get overwhelmed.

No comments:
Post a Comment